Monday, May 19, 2008

Now that he is 8 months old

This is the face my boy gave me all during lunch (note lunch on his face)



I was trying to teach him some sign. "More", "food", "please", "thank you" . . .
Yeah, and he pretty much just looked at me like that.
That look that says "I know your trying to tell me something. I know it!"
Or "Bless your heart."

So here is my molehill of a dilemma . . . to teach him baby sign in ASL (American Sign Language) or LSM (Lenguaje de Senas Mexicanas-that is Mexican Sign Language)


ASL/English is what we speak at home
LSM is what we speak and minister
in
ASL signs for those words mentioned above are all easier to do ("food" is
the same)
LSM would be recognized with the deaf outside of these 4 walls
unless we go to the states (which we do about once a week) and there he
would be able to communicate with the other mamas that are teaching their babies
sign . . .

So, what do you think?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

yep, he's a cutie, even sideways.

Michael Hunt said...

te he.

Cheryl said...

That's a tough one. I think I'd start with ASL. Are you going to teach him to speak in spanish or do you think he'll just pick it up naturally?
I have no sign language training and have taught the basics to all 3of my kids and it has been a great thing!
Hey the thought just hit me. We're going to Costa Rica this summer on a mission trip. Any tips on where we can purchase spanish new testaments (pocket size), spanish coloring books or even some neat little trinkets for kids. (like the rubber bracelets or whatever.)
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I would teach him whichever you think he'll use more as a child. He could always pick up the other one later.

He's adorable!

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Why not teach him both? Children who grow up in bilingual households often learn two verbal languages side-by-side. They'll often mix up words, but at least you'll know what he's saying!

Anonymous said...

we're doing the whole combo thing... you know english/spanish/ASL/Mexican Sign and the occasional word in french or german... and yes she is confused... I think she might learn at least one of these languages someday though... haha.

I don't know if that's any kind of good advice... but...

Anonymous said...

What a cutiepie!

I'd think I'd start with the ASL, since that is what is how you communicate in the home, and then introduce him to the other when he gets a little older and can differentiate.

Rebekah said...

I wouldn't even know what to suggest but I don't think it really matters. That boy is so cute people wont care what he says!

Girl Raised in the South said...

How is he already 8 months old, I swear it just seems like yesterday we were waiting for him to be born! good grief time flies. He's a real cutie. Our daughter taught her baby a few signs and he still goes right into them, even though he's starting to talk. Sometimes signing is the more natural response for him, I love that!

Shari said...

Oh my goodness. That is a dilemma. I guess I'd teach first what you use mostly at home. That would get the most practice. I didn't even realize that there was LSM.