Friday, August 04, 2006

Captivating

Chapter 8

I must say, this one is the first chapter that I went "AH-HA!" In fact that is scribbled on the side of the page just like that in my book - Ah -Ha!

The part about a mans strength, I agree with. I, even in my strongest days, likes a hero. I suspect I am not alone.

Now, let me share with you what I LOVED!

For almost a year now, possibly may be 2 . . . a long time, I have wondered what "a quiet spirit" means. Searching around I got vague answers. Still I did notice that from God Himself I was getting messages over and over in the bible, in sermons, in talks with other women of TRUST and REST. Have I been so blind that I didn't see GOD WAS ANSWERING ME?!

Over and over, trust and rest, trust and rest. But this chapter spelled it out so clearly for me - Beauty flows from a heart at rest 1 Peter 3:3-4 says that our beauty should come from "your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit." A spirit at rest. To have a gentle and quiet spirit is to have a heart of faith, a heart that trusts in God, a spirit that has been quieted by his love and filled with his peace. (pg.134) Yes! I know it. It resonates with me. "He will quiet you with his love"(Zeph.3:17). A woman of true beauty is a woman who in the depths of her soul is at rest, trusting God . . ." (pg.135) And there is your beauty.

5 comments:

The Flip Flop Mamma! said...

I think I'm finally going to break down and buy this book! I've heard only good things about it! My only problem is that if it's not fiction, I'm bored after chapter one! Except for the Bible of course. I've never bought a non-fiction book and finished it! Never! I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Heather said...

I finally put mine up. So I came to read yours (I didn't read it earlier because I didn't want to be influenced) and ha ha ha we wrote the same quote! Love it. :)

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Michelle, just like you I did an aha when I read about a gentle and quiet spirit. I expect any of us who arent natural introverts have wondered about this. So it's not just about being quiet, soft-spoken but rather where we are inside. I loved that part too.

sarahgrace said...

Yes, so very nice to finally have it spelled out for us isn't it? : )

You know, I'm an introvert, so I understood the quiet part, but the faith and trust part is what I hadn't grasped yet.

Courtney said...

Michelle, I just loved this chapter too, especially the part on having a "heart at rest". I'm so thankful that I can still be loud and have a gentle and quiet spirit.