Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Portrates

As my previous post implies - my mother, who was here visiting us, has returned to her home in Minnesota. Just before she left she wanted to do something that she'd been waiting for us to do for a long long time.

Formal family portraits.

She even offered to pay.

We had a 10am appointment, which is the "good" part of the day with three small children, and had we been able to keep that appointment - I'm sure I'd have nothing better but some GREAT looking family portraits to show you.

As it is, my life is never so dull.

We got out the door late. Really late, and it is a three hour journey for us to go state side - so at the boarder I call and make a second appointment for 2pm.

We didn't make that one either.

I won't go into details. Anyway, I've pretty much have blocked from my memory why we didn't make it at 2pm. But we finally rolled in at about 3 something. I apologized and would have just thrown in the towel and not have taken portraits that day except that mother was leaving in a couple of days and she . . . well . . . she insisted. She had a valid point that if we didn't do it then, more than likely this would happen on the calendar of manana a.k.a. never.

I'm certain the high school-er at the counter rolled her eyes, smacked her gum and with a sigh said . . .yes, we could still get our pictures done that day . . there was a spot open at about 5pm . .

At about 4:30 the receptionist's apparent BFF introduced herself as our photographer, and with a sigh that belied her statement, said she was ready for us - but we weren't ready, cause I had taken the kids window shopping to pass the time and was just getting back now to nurse and to change them into their clothes. Oh well . . . rush to brush hairs, and slap some make-up on me, get shoes on . . . well, who needs shoes! Go go go . . .

Meanwhile - all you parents out there - you KNOW 4pm is the whine and dine hour, right?

Everybody is tired, baby needs a nursing, and if you recall we're just coming off of more than 3 hours in the car . . . I won't regale you with the chaos that it was with bribes, threats and tears . . .

The result: a photographic documentary of a melt down:

Notice the "If you guys don't smile and ACT HAPPY so help me . . .!!! " look that I've got going on!

Finally with a good does of joker action from dad we got some smiles, but you can just see the tears yet on my son's face.


By the way - guess where I am in this picture of grandma with kids? Laying on my back under my son's stool holding his legs so he doesn't hop down and run off. Lots 'o fun.


And just think, folks, these are the pictures the photographer KEPT! Yes, these are the good ones!



This was worth it, though . . .




17 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh cousin of mine! YOur pictures look great, and your story is better. Knowing my aunt makes it that much more wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh cousin of mine! YOur pictures look great, and your story is better. Knowing my aunt makes it that much more wonderful!

Unknown said...

Oh cousin of mine! YOur pictures look great, and your story is better. Knowing my aunt makes it that much more wonderful!

j said...

OMG-osh I know I shouldn't laugh, cause it's really not funny, and I know how terribly stressed you were, and it sounded like a harrowing day.....LOL. I've been there and experienced that! It gets better. I prosmise.

Oh Wait.....There is that weird smile that I can't get my son to quit making and my Diva Daughter insists on doing THAT pose everytime and Oldest Daughter is hitting an age that her smile is not natural....I take it back. The only good part is that you don't have to hold them down!!!!

LOL!!!!

Have a happy day.

Jennifer

j said...

OH! And I thought the pics were gorgeous!

Jen again

Pastor Ron said...

Ok so I am totally not excited about doing family pics here in about 2 months!

Heather Hansen said...

SO CUTE! hahaha

I hate picture day. :)

Lauren said...

You are a beautiful family!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet and accommodating. If I had to drive 3 hours just to take family pictures, I would have said for.get.it! The studio that we use is onl 20 minutes away and I'm about 2 years overdue for a family photo!

Love the individual ones of the kids. Maybe you can computerize them together? hee hee

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I'm glad you got some good ones!!

What a rough day that must have been for you!!

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Really, some of those turned out pretty decent. I am actually jealous. Lilla had her pictures taken 3, yes 3, times the week following her 2nd birthday. Not one was oh so fabulous that I felt the need to spring up and shout. There were a couple of decent ones, of course none in the beautiful dress I had chosen for her to wear. No, they were in her playclothes. Oh, the trials of having little ones. But oh, how they are so worth it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...you wrote everything I cannot stand about doing "formal portraits"...
These days- we pretty much refuse to do them- I think the candid shots are usually better looking and better represent personalities and looks and so on. Now if I would actually print them out and send them off... ;)
Glad you at least got some pictures that made it worth it though!

Kelly Lynch said...

AAaaah! I Love it! You are so human and real! And so are your kids. Yeah, some of the pictures are 'hairy', but there are alot of really nice and cute ones. You guys do look great and the outfit and matching is lovely! I just pulled whatever we had out of the drawers/closets that were clean! Maybe next time we'll do fancy...um but after your tale/warning...um...maybe not!
Love you guys!

Kelly Lynch said...

AAaaah! I Love it! You are so human and real! And so are your kids. Yeah, some of the pictures are 'hairy', but there are alot of really nice and cute ones. You guys do look great and the outfit and matching is lovely! I just pulled whatever we had out of the drawers/closets that were clean! Maybe next time we'll do fancy...um but after your tale/warning...um...maybe not!
Love you guys!

JulieMom said...

WOW.

I hope you at least went out to dinner after all that.

And I'm glad no one was seriously injured. Or killed.

:0)

Girl Raised in the South said...

Lovely photos, real is good, and hopefully she also took you all out to dinner on the drive home!

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the stress you were under. Funny, your husband looks so relaxed! :D

Great pics!