Thursday, May 03, 2007

An update on Yesenia.

I thought some of you might like to hear the story from Yesenia's huband Jacob's perspective . . . His perspective and faith humbles me.

I'm writing this to you simply so you'll know and can be praying with us. I
hope you will read the story through eyes of faith, the way we're living it, and
not fear. I don't want to draw attention to ourselves in any way, but I also
don't want any of you to find out second-hand, so here goes...

Yesterday I hadto work a little late and as I arrived at our new home at around 6:30 (on the 25 acre Bible College site) I noticed the barbed-wire gate was mangled and open and our van was in an odd place. I was immediately tense. Yesenia, holding Ezra, called to me from the house and I could tell something was wrong. We walked
toward each other and when I was close enough I could see her eyes were teary.

She told me that about 90 minutes earlier she saw two vehicles plow through the
front gate. She rushed to lock the front door, then the back door, but as soon
as she turned around three men kicked through the front door and entered the
house. One had a handgun and two had automatic rifles. There were about 5 more
men outside. She got on the floor with the boys and began praying. They said
they were looking for guns as they searched through drawers, cabinets, and
still-unpacked boxes. They wanted to know who we were and why we were there.

Yesenia explained we're missionaries and we're building a Bible College. The
main spokesman of the group began reassuring Yesenia that they would not harm
them. They stayed about 20 minutes, apparently waiting for a ride. When their
ride didn't come they asked for the keys to our van, which they took down the
road. About 5 minutes later they brought it back and left it just inside the
gate. No one was hurt, nothing taken (except our van keys) and there was only
slight damage to the facilities.

The boys were scared, but are adjusting well. Most locals we talk to are pretty sure it was some sort of undercover police operation. Obviously, it was scary and we're shaken up. We're staying with some friends until our nerves calm down. But we plan to persevere. We're committed to seeing mighty things happen on that property. We're no strangers to hardship, but we don't invite it. If we considered the situation to be truly dangerous, we wouldn't go back, but there's no reason to believe that kind of incident will happen again.

This story probably elicits a number of emotions in you, the reader. I assure you we've felt them all, yes ALL. We've chosen to direct those emotions into prayer that God will protect Mexico and, above all, that He will raise up thousands of fearless Christian servants at this Bible College that will rock the foundations of this and every other corrupt culture on the planet.

We encourage you to stand with us in prayer, knowing that He that is in us is
greater than he that is in the world.

God Bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a scary experience. Hope everybody is OK.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Lauren said...

Thank you for the update. I have been praying for them!

I've tagged you over at my blog!