Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bible Study: A Heart Like His.

Me and some fellow missionary gals are in week one of this bible study that focuses on David.


And I will not promise to post every week about it because that was such a dismal failure with the Boundaries book study - but if something stands out for me I will attempt and have the best intentions to get it posted here. Promise.


Today's insight wasn't from the study, per say, but how the Lord spoke to me - and I'm excited about it.


It's the idea of David being a man after God's own heart - my workbook asked what that meant to me. I've always understood it to mean that David had a heart like God's - so I was trying to define what that meant as I read over the verse again:



1 Samuel 13:14 (New International Version)
But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the LORD's command.

As I mulled on it the word "after" really popped out.  It didn't say "like" - not even in the King James Version, but "after".  I looked for any other reference like this in the bible and came up with Acts 13:12 

Acts 13:22 (King James Version)
. . . and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
That little word gives me the sense of pursuit - David was a man that pursued God's heart.  Like in woo-ing. A seeking out, a desire to win favor, a passionate persistence . . .


Just stop and think of the implications of that!


(If it helps; think of your significant other first. "Prince Charming is a man after Princess's heart." or "Prince Charming has a heart like Princess" . . . see the difference?)


God makes it clear in the Bible that we are pursued, and wooed by Him.  And that is beautiful - but what if we did the same?


So- go ahead and do what I did: put your name in there~

~Michelle is a woman after God's heart.~

Doesn't it just blow your mind - or is it just me.  If it's just me, I'm OK with that . . . 

1 comment:

mama said...

OH!!! That is GREAT!!! I have too, thought it meant "like." This opens up a lot of David's story for me.